Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Not Alone Series: What I Love About Being Single


Joining up on the dear Jen's blog for this week's topic of "What I Love About Being Single".  Something meant to be a little bit more light and fun compared to the heavier, yet important, topics of discernment, prayer and the like.

Now understand that being married and being a mother go hand in hand for me.  I hear my Christian Marriage professor cheering as I type this.  All those lectures that included phrases such as "marriage is unitive AND procreative" are shining through.

My first thought that comes to my mind when considering this topic is sleeping in.  Everytime I sleep in (for a nursing student, 8) or lay in my bed just a little while longer reading a book I soak it all in for all my mommy friends out there who have to get up with the first cries, sludge downstairs and produce some sort of breakfast and then settle in with their coffee while young-ins run wild.


Next, is my body being completely and totally mine.  No husband, pregnancies, or nurslings.  Nothing more needs to be said. 

Thirdly, my favorite thing about being single is quiet time.  I have many hours a day, with it being summer, where I don't have to feel guilty sitting on my butt watching another episode of Grey's Anatomy.  In fact, that is what summer is all about, you know the lazy hazy days of summer.


Lastly, and probably most closely correlated with the original intention of this topic, my favorite thing about being single is not having to consult anyone with my decisions and how I spend my time.  Where do I want to move after I graduate?  My decision.  What do I want to do this weekend?  My decision.  I don't have to consider a boyfriend or husband.

Now don't get me wrong, when a man comes trotting into my life I will happily give all this up (ok maybe begrudginly the sleeping in) but for now I enjoy these simple joys that come with being single.  I trust in the Lord that these days will not last forever but until then let's sleep in, laz around, and make a few decisions all on our own.


8 comments:

  1. Great reasons! I particularly love the sleeping in... I love it way too much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decisions being mine, quiet time... yes, yes and yes. I love that you are sleeping in for all your mommy friends, so thoughtful. Love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, great stuff. :) Sleeping in is my love, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in LOVE with quiet time. I completely get you, girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I am also loving my mornings when I get to sleep in and lounge about all day if I'm able.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or lounge around watching Gilmore Girls ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! A fellow college student :) Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I remember those nursing student days!!! :D

    ReplyDelete