Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Not Alone Series: Despair and Vocations



I would be lying if I didn't say I almost wasn't going to join in this weeks link-up.  In fact I still can't promise you I will read all the other posts.  Why? Most of the year I am around a whole slew of women, who when together, unfortunately too quickly and easily fall into a pit of despair focusing on their empty wombs and lack of ring on their left hand.  There is nothing about that I like.  However, something happened this weekend that perfectly coincided with this post I just had to participate.

So I had a wedding this weekend.  I knew the bride from Franciscan.  There are a handful of other connections and my roommate from this last year was one of the bridesmaids and I knew about 8 other people coming.  I had people I could stand on the sidelines with and sip a cranberry vodka and I had people to dance with. But I didn't have a date.  And when I was driving to the reception, I was worried.  What if none of those people I knew were there when I got to the reception, what would I do then?   Would I awkwardly have to stand against the wall by myself?  I gave myself a few minutes to wallow and wish for a guy, boyfriend, fiancé, or husband that could have accompanied me.  I knew though that I couldn't let the wallowing continue.  Somewhere on I-480, I decided I would just have to let the Lord be my date.  Always sounds cheesy but I knew He would surprise me beyond my wildest dreams.

The whole night ended up going better than I expected.  I told my mom I would probably dip out soon after dinner and be home early.  Instead I had a good time dancing for hours and catching up with friends from school.  I credit it all to making the decision not to wallow about my lack of husband and date and instead to choose to acknowledge the opportunity I have to be heads over heels in love with Jesus.

Despair is easy especially when you want to be a wife and mommy so bad, especially if it feels like years are quickly passing by still with no man in sight.  We have to though be women of grace who cling to Our Lord and quickly turn any feelings of despair into His loving hands, embracing His love and stepping fearlessly into the future knowing that He has it planned perfectly.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Natalie, this is so wonderful. THANK YOU for sharing. I have a number of weddings that are coming up and I always worry about those same things...who will I dance with, who will I sit with, who will I talk to, what if I'm the only.one.alone. Ugh.

    This is a great idea. I'm using it. mmkay thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not the only one that goes single and worries about these things!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reminding me how in love with Jesus I am...and how dreamy He is :) <3

    ReplyDelete