Friday, September 6, 2013

Haiti 2013: Part 4

Found this in my drafts and I don't know how it never made it to published....

The posts about Haiti continue.  If you haven't read the other parts yet I encourage you to go back and read parts 1, 2, and 3 so that you can get a more complete picture of the trip.

One of the missions of our trip was to do house visits to the sick elderly so that we could pray for and with them and bring them vitally important food that they might otherwise have no way to obtain.  The elderly in Haiti are not treated as they ought, often forgotten about and not taken care of.  A common mindset is, "I barely have enough food to feed my starving children why should I feed my grandma who is going to die soon anyway."  The terrible thing is, even if the mission brings them food these elderly people's family won't help them cook it, sweep for them, or do much needed things like fix their leaking roof.

The woman in the following picture, her roof was leaking and she would sleep soaking wet.  Her son lives not 10 yards from her and won't even come down and visit with her let along help her out.  For some reason it was this woman that most captured my heart.   I let the picture speak for itself.


We visited a number of old people.  They were filled with joy that a group of young people cared enough to come to see them saying they wished they had coffee or fried food to offer us.  We prayed with many of them seeking Christ's protection and healing power.  


Katie, the long term missionary, translated for us, their words of thanks.  This woman in the picture below I met last year and it was a privilege to be able to see her again and this year she looked healthier and younger.  


Some of the old people we visited could only lay in bed, or should I say straw mat on the floor, all day.  They touched me so much partially because they are my patients, they just live in a very different country in which medical intervention is not even a thought.  They more than likely have many of the same health problems.  


No comments:

Post a Comment