Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Creating a Home

This is something I have been wanting to write about for a long time.  This blog has sort of evolved from a mismatch of pinterest and outfits to really focusing in on the things that affect young single Catholic ladies and I am not complaining.  It is this beautiful challenging time that involves alot of transitions, unknowns, decisions, and joys.  One such thing is choosing how and where to live.

Without going into too much detail I moved to Pittsburgh last October with a job, a one bedroom apartment and a roommate.  Since then I have moved into a four bedroom house, gained another roommate and gotten two other job offers but still have the same job...for now.  One thing that has become very important, especially since moving is cultivating a home.


So often creating a home goes hand in hand with hubby and a litter of children, but why can't us single gals also talk about cultivating a home of love and joy?

I have tried to be purposeful, despite large ever present loan payments, to create a home with pieces and spaces that I love, and I hope my roommates love it just as much as I do.  Arranging furniture to be warm and inviting, adding pieces that inspire joy, religious articles that point back to Him, plants that bring a breath of fresh air, and a flow that just works.  It is by no means perfect but a home is an ever evolving space with things, people, ideas, hopes, dreams, and sometimes even failings flowing through it.
Cozy corners. 
Much of the furniture in our home has come from thrift stores, hand me downs, and trash day but somehow all comes together as if we choose them out of a magazine. Just a few weeks ago one of my roommates and I were discussing how much we disliked our kitchen chairs and would love if we could change them.  Wouldn't you know that not three days later on trash day there were three nearly perfect condition chairs that were just sitting in the trash on the curb.  I like to think that the Lord also wanted us to have a beautiful home that worked with our budget.



We recently had our home blessed and hosted the priest for dinner even more emphasizing that the definition of a home doesn't necessarily include a traditional nuclear family but also can include three single ladies striving for sainthood and their vocation.

I have seen it all over instagram (@avcrawford and @ymgal13 I am looking at you) this creating of beautiful living spaces but I say to all of you ladies keep on creating.  Create homes you love living in. 


A sink overflowing with dishes normally means a night laughing and chatting with friends.

Nothing better than a summer evening on the patio.
 photo handmaidsignature_zps78343ea1.png

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Our home should be a place of peace and joy, no matter what stage of life we're in. So appreciate the little tour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooove it!! I can't wait to be more intentional when setting up and creating my new place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I love your new house, especially the white cabinets and twinkly lights in the kitchen and that fabulous outdoor patio! Decorating your home is so worth it. I'm a big fan of white spray paint and making DIY chalkboards. Oh and I so wanted to ask our priest over for dinner and to bless our apartment but always chickened out. So wish I had done it!

    ReplyDelete